Thursday, October 6, 2016

the "Terrible Twos" and the horrible threes

For those of you who know me (hopefully) understand that I truly love my children. But they also know that I complain often and don't usually sugarcoat. My kids have brought a happiness and understanding to life that nothing else could. Even though they are my pride and joy, I get a little overwhelmed and tired of everything that comes along with having 3 and 1-yr old boys.
Ever since Lincoln turned 3, he has magically become unable to hear anything I say to him. Tantrums regularly occur and most things in my house are meant to be thrown or jumped on. 

A couple of weeks ago (to no ones surprise) Lincoln wandered through a little opening into wet cement at the chandler mall food court. I was quickly scarfing down my lunch while my mom was letting Beck and Lincoln wander around, when Lincoln slipped by and got between a good sized opening in the gates. When she called to me for help, my first question was if it was cement... When she confirmed I was immediately concerned for his Converse shoes. Luckily, Ken and my brother were there since Ian took the memorable photos while Ken took care of Lincoln. Of course, my priority was to instantly take the shoes to the bathroom to clean them. ..It's funny the things you worry about in crisis. 
Another joy of motherhood is how many people disapprovingly stare at you when your child is acting up. Lincoln has helped me to become much more understanding of those moms who have a screaming kid in public.



Today was another one of those glorious days. Thankfully, it was in the privacy of my home. The boys and I were playing in Lincoln's room when Lincoln shut the door and announced that we we couldn't get out. As I remembered that Ken and I had just switched his doorknob around I began to panic then proceeded to scold him. He immediately started crying and exclaimed that he needed to pee! I ran through my options (call Ken or find something to jimmy the lock) I grabbed a nail holding the mirror and started to try the door. I spent a couple of minutes fiddling with it while Beck and Lincoln frustratingly crowded me, then Lincoln impatiently said, "Here, let me try!" Haha yeah ok! I don't know why it didn't come to me earlier, but the idea popped into my head that I could climb out of his window and use the house key that we hid in the backyard from the last time Lincoln locked us out of the house (eye roll). 
As the kids were both crying at my feet I carefully removed the screen, which some might say can be tricky. Since we are renting the house I didn't want to break anything I'd have to replace. 


Lincoln begged to come with me while Beck screamed in protest that I wasn't picking him up. You can see in the photo below Lincoln is deciding whether or not to listen to me and Beck's little hand desperately trying to  get to me (tear). As I contemplated finding time to clean the window sills, I very "gracefully" flopped out of the window, landing my bare feet painfully on the rocks. Luckily, no one was outside to witness my uncomfortable waddle through the rocks in my pjs around the front of the house... 
I could hear both boys crying uncontrollably as I retrieved the key. When I finally got back to Lincoln's room, Beck was tear soaked and relived to finally have me pick him up and Lincoln was not in the room...

It turns out he didn't listen and climbed out the window anyway... He was not too happy that I made him run through the rocks to the front door. There was no way I was going to lift his 40 lb booty back through that window.
I'm glad I could laugh and take pictures the whole time this was going down, but man oh man do I feel like, I'm not winning the "Mother of  the Year" award. I would like to think most moms experience situations as ridiculous as this but they just aren't crazy enough to blog about it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment